Philip D. Ryan
Phil Ryan was born just a few blocks from the White House in Washington D.C. while his father served in the armed services. Phil worked his way through law school attending classes at night while working during the day yet still managed to graduate number four in his class.
As an attorney, Phil has represented the State of Oklahoma liquidating insolvent insurance companies on behalf of the Oklahoma Insurance Department, participated in jury trials in both the federal and state court systems, and represented thousands of injured workers in trials before the Oklahoma Workers' Compensation Court. Phil presently concentrates his practice on Social Security disability cases, and has appeared at over two thousand hearings before federal judges assigned to the Social Security Administration in Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas.
In 1997, Phil served on the Lieutenant Governor’s Commission on Workers’ Compensation Reform. In 2010, Phil was appointed by Governor Brad Henry to serve as his representative on the Task Force on Vocational Rehabilitation for Injured Workers. Phil is an active member of Lawyers for Working Oklahomans (an organization made up of the most prominent attorneys representing injured Oklahoma workers). From 2005 through 2009 Phil served on LWO's board of directors and in 2010 he was elected President of this important organization. He is also a sustaining member of the National Organization of Social Security Claimant Representatives.
Phil serves on the Board of Directors of The Twelve Foundation, an organization dedicated to promoting youth recovery. He also serves on the Phi Delta Theta Alumni Advisory Board at Oklahoma State University. He has traveled to Northern Peru on three mission trips building homes and delivering food to the needy.
Phil loves spending time with his children and family. Phil is an avid cyclist and spends much of his spring and summer competing in regional road races and time trials.
Areas of Practice:
- Oklahoma City University School of Law, 1987, J.D.
- University of Central Oklahoma, 1981, B.B.A., Finance
- Oklahoma State University, 1976-1980
Honors and Awards:
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- American Jurisprudence Award, Evidence, 1985
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Oklahoma Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Oklahoma County Bar Association
- Lawyers for Working Oklahomans (president, 2010)
- Oklahoma Association for Justice
- Association of Trial Lawyers of American
- National Workplace Injury Litigation Group
- National Organization of Social Security Claimant Representatives (Sustaining Member)
- Oklahoma Insurance Commissioner's Office, Legal Division, 1981-1986
- National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Guest Instructor
- Oklahoma Bar Association Leadership Academy, Guest instructor 2008, 2009
- Death Benefits in Workers' Compensation Cases, 1990
- The Burden of Proof in Workers' Compensation Appeals, 1991
- Advanced Workers' Compensation, 1997
- The Nuts and Bolts of a Workers' Compensation Case, 1998
- Ethical Considerations in a Workers' Compensation Case, 1999
- Confidentiality of Medical Records in a Workers' Compensation Case, 2000
- Coordinating the Claimant's Case with Medical Case Managers, 2005
- Basic Social Security Disability Law, 2009
- Social Security Disability Hearings, 2011
- Starting a Social Security Practice, 2013